Saturday, January 28, 2012

Alcatraz Pilot

          While I had not seen very many trailers or articles about the new show Alcatraz, I was drawn in by the setting (Alcatraz) and J.J. Abrams who is one of the Executive Producers. Because I had little knowledge before watching the pilot, I found myself surprised by storyline which is... SPOILER ALERT... about 302 missing prisoners and guards that vanished on the island in the 60’s. However, they haven’t totally vanished because the inmates seem to be coming back the same age as when they disappeared.  Becuase J.J. Abrams has a hand in this, I figured it would be satisfyingly confusing just like Lost. 
          I must admit that I was a bit skeptical up until half way through the episode when minor plot twists, and intriguing character histories came forward. Now that I finished the  Pilot episode, I found myself craving more which is usually a good sign. 
          The cast seems a little weak due to my unfamiliarity with many of the actors. Although, Jorge Garcia (Hugo “Hurley” Reyes from Lost) seems to be one of the main driving points for watching the show. He plays a character that is once again nerdy and extremely lovable with a sense of humor that has had me laughing multiple times already.  Garcia seems to be playing his role quite well especially during stressful or dramatic moments. 
          The actual island of Alcatraz has been having some problems since the show began. Multiple tourists have been caught trespassing during public tours because the show depicts hidden rooms located on the island. The situation has become so frustrating that signs have been posted saying, “The TV show Alcatraz is fictional, many areas it depicts are not real.” Too bad because for a second there I was hoping they were real.
          They say not to judge a book by its cover, but I found the pilot episode to be successful in creating a desire to watch the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment