Friday, December 2, 2011

Braveheart

          If I were to compare Braveheart to anything, it would probably be my relationship with an old friend. No matter how much time passes, we remain close, but when we are reunited, I couldn’t be happier.  After winning 5 Academy Awards and being nominated for another 5, Braveheart is definitely one of the greatest war films of all time.
          Braveheart is one of the worlds finest films and should be seen by everyone before they die. While it is one of the greatest historical war drama’s of all time, it does have its flaws. 
          First of all, the film is extremely historically inaccurate.  One reviewer even said, "The events aren't accurate, the dates aren't accurate, the characters aren't accurate, the names aren't accurate, the clothes aren't accurate—in short, just about nothing is accurate." Based on what I have read, her statement seems to be valid. She suggests that you watch the film like a fantasy such as Star Wars, because saying it is a ‘historical film’ is a lie. That being said, the story of Braveheart was phenomenal. The screenplay was even nominated for an Academy Award.
          Because I watched the movie on a large BluRay television, I was able to notice a great amount of detail. About an hour into Braveheart, I began to notice a few of out of focus shots. Based on what I have learned, a shot is in focus if the character’s eyes are in focus. As the movie progressed, the out of focus shots became more and more prevalent. I am assuming that many people have not noticed this because the focus was alway very close to its target. 
          Finally, my largest problem in the film is Sir William Wallace’s relationship with the Princess Isabelle of France.  In the beginning of the film, William Wallace marries Murron, his childhood friend and promises that he will be with her and her alone forever. Long after Murron’s death, Wallace randomly ends up having sex with Princess Isabelle. Watching this made me extremely disappointed in William Wallace. After all, Murron’s death was the beginning of his violent streak. I wish that his relationship with Isabelle would have been developed more or completely removed from the film.
          Along with Gladiator and the Patriot, Braveheart is one of my favorite “historical” war films. The brutal violence and patriotism within this film makes it a part of the “man movie collection.”

No comments:

Post a Comment