Monday, December 5, 2011

Immortals

          To my surprise, I was not totally pleased with Immortals. Around the time it was in theaters, I watched the trailer and thought that it looked like a mix between 300 and Troy. After finishing the movie, I decided to watch the trailer again. Immortals turned out to be a prime example of a trailer featuring the best parts of the movie. Immortals was about an hour and a half long and probably featured only ten minutes of fighting.  I found this extremely disappointing and feel that the trailer was misleading.
          However, within those ten minutes of fighting, the cinematography was unbelievable. Rivaling Zack Snyder’s 300 and Sucker Punch, Immortals packed a solid punch and definitely created a “wow factor.” 
          I feel like if you’ve seen one movie about Greek Gods, you’ve seen them all. Troy, Clash of the Titans, and Immortals all have similar stories and similar action scenes. While Immortals had the best fighting of these three, it was balanced by having the worst story.  Filled with plot holes, Immortals definitely relies on its visual aspects instead of its storyline.
          Despite my harsh criticisms, the casting and acting turned out to be solid. Many actors had worked in similar films before which may have helped with their performances. Mickey Rourke is the most well known actor followed by Henry Cavill (playing Superman in the 2013 Zack Snyder film Man of Steel). 
          To summarize, I would say that Immortals is worth watching if there is nothing else left. There are dozens of movies that are more interesting and entertaining that should be watched before this. I would love to hear an opposing argument and know what you thought of this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment