Friday, December 2, 2011

Dexter Season 6 Episode 9 "Get Gellar"

          One of my favorite things about this season is the emphasis put back on Deborah. Jennifer Carpenter’s acting has come a long way since the first season, which helps in her frequent emotional breakdowns.  Seeing a shrink is something that she has needed to do for a long time and it is good to see her trying to fix her relationship with her brother. Later on, her shrink tells Deb that she can fix her messed up life by changing her habits. This is something totally new for her character and I cannot wait for it to happen. I’m somehow getting a “sixth sense feeling” and I guessing that Deb will somehow tie into this religious theme.
          This season has revolved around religion from the first episode. Through Brother Sam and Prof. Gellar, Christianity has been pushed onto the viewers in a normal way (Brother Sam) and a psychotic way (the Doomsday Killers). For the first time, the opposite position has come into view. Dexter believes that Gellar’s next victim is going to be a devout atheist who is also a professor at a university. 
          Like many people, Dexter is trying to live his life through Travis. By killing Travis’ Dark Passenger, Travis will be free from the burden that Dexter has always faced. What Dexter doesn’t realize is that this isn’t going to make him feel better. The exact same situation occurred with Lumen in season 5. She wanted to kill the men who raped her just as Travis wants to kill Gellar for murdering his sister. After Dexter and Lumen finished off Jordan Chase, Lumen’s Dark Passenger was gone. This left Dexter alone once again.
          After Quinn and Batista retrieve Quinn’s belongings, they get in a fist fight over personal matters. Surprisingly, this is the first time this has come up. In the beginning of season 6, they were seen smoking weed together and now they’re fighting. I guess that’s what weed does to people. From there, Quinn and Batista appear at the next crime scene together and do not talk. At first, I thought this was a plot flaw but than realized that since Angel’s car broke down, a day has gone past.
          While Prof. Gellar’s next kill seems simple, the bowls of wrath make the scene gruesome. Much like the room 103 in season 1, blood was spilled all over the homicide team. I must say that I called this one as soon as Dexter mentioned the draining of the victim’s blood (another homage to Brian Moser). The kill was way too simple and the bowls of wrath was not explained in any way. That being said, I had no idea what what going on with the severed hand (another Ice Truck Killer reference) until it ended up in Travis’ sink.
          So far, one of my favorite scenes with Deb happened in this episode. She finally breaks her pattern of accepting LaGuerta’s demands and stands up for what she truly wants. This scene is total proof of the saying confidence is attractive. In the beginning of the elevator scene, I thought Deb’s hair and clothing were odd and not very attractive. A few minutes later, things changed. 
          Once again, the writers blew me away with the involvement of Captain Matthews. I had no idea that he would be the one who performed CPR on the girl who overdosed. Now that Deb is reopening the case, LaGuerta and Matthews intend on stopping her. The drama within the homicide department is becoming tangible and is adding to the intensity to the show.
          Not to toot my own horn, but if you have been reading my Dexter reviews, I stated that Lewis had a major crush on Dexter. By possessing the stolen piece of the Ice Truck Killer investigation, he proves that he is either obsessed with Dexter or serial killers. I would like to reemphasize my theory that Lewis will turn out to be a killer. I’m even going to guess that he is going to take over for Professor Gellar.
          I thoroughly enjoy the tie in to the previous theme of Dexter trying to be a good father. This concept has not been prevalent in the recent episodes and I am pleased that it has returned. These deep themes of trying to be a better father, being religious, and Deb changing her habits make for a wonderful show.  The deeper the context and story is, the easier it can connect to the viewers. While shows and movies with mindless violence can be easier to write, things with deeper meanings usually turn out to be more popular.
          One of my favorite things about Dexter is how the writers can throw a left hook out of nowhere. My mind is still trying to wrap around the entire twist. I find it incredibly interesting that Dexter has his vision of his Dark Passenger (Brian) and Travis does too (Gellar). They both killed their loved ones, possibly for the same reasons, and now they’re coming back to haunt them. One thing that I don’t understand is how Travis went along with Dexter’s idea of killing Gellar. Wouldn’t Travis realize that Gellar is dead because he killed him? He could be playing along, but if he was trying to get rid of Dexter, he could have done it at various times. I’m almost positive that he is actually crazy, and less like Dexter than I originally thought. I believe that much more will be explained in episodes to come and I cannot wait for the next episode. This feeling of excitement and anxiety is one I thoroughly enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment