Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Gladiator

          Without a doubt in my mind, I can say that Gladiator is a film that holds a significant place in each man’s heart.  While people don’t normally say it, I firmly believe that Maximus Decimus Meridius is a man that is highly looked up to by men today.  My reasoning behind this bold statement is simple. Maximus displays all of the virtues necessary to be a good man. His honor, strength, loyalty, courage, and determination are the reasons why Gladiator is a phenomenal film.  If you were to survey the male population about the best guy movies, I’m positive Gladiator would be on the list along with Braveheart, Scarface, and Caddyshack.
          While the movie isn’t jammed with violence, it definitely has its moments.  To my surprise, much of the brutality is not shown in the film.  Ridley Scott would pan the camera away quickly but leave enough information on screen for the audience to use their imagination.
          Most of the movie is dialogue and storyline, which is a little unique for a “guy movie.” Luckily, the writing is good enough to keep the viewers interested in between fight scenes.  Unlike most movies I watch, I found it difficult to find flaws within Gladiator. The dialogue and storyline was realistic, the acting was superb, and the fighting was graphic and life like. 
          Along with Gladiator, Hans Zimmer has composed over 100 film soundtracks including The Lion King, Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Dark Knight, Sherlock Holmes, and Inception. He is without a doubt my favorite composer and never fails to make a successful soundtrack.  Of his work, 50 soundtracks or songs have been nominated for awards. Gladiator alone won a Satellite Award, a Critics Choice Award, and a Golden Globe.  I have no idea how he does it, but every movie he composes for is extremely enhanced by the quality of his music.
          One of the best qualities that Gladiator exhibits is the wonderful characters.  While watching the film, one of my friends kept saying how much he hated Commodus.  What he probably didn’t realize is that the love or hatred for a character derives from the phenomenal acting and character creation.  Without Joaquin Phoenix, the film would have been severely lacking in quality.  The same goes for Maximus; if the character were poorly created or terribly acted, he would not be loved by the audience and the film would not have been as great of a success.  Little known fact: Mel Gibson was originally considered for the role but turned it down because he felt that he was too old. If he had taken the role, he would have starred in 3 famous guy movies: Gladiator, Braveheart, and the Patriot.
          If you’re reading this, I am assuming that you have seen Gladiator and am hoping you share my enthusiasm for it.  If not, than I am surprised that you read this far.  All in all, I love Gladiator and would definitely put it in my collection of guy movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment