Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sucker Punch

          I must say that I am surprised by the outcome of Sucker Punch. Having only seen Dawn of the Dead and 300, I was expecting a shallow movie with incredible special effects, much like The Matrix, (directed by the Wachowski brothers) but I was wrong. The film turned out to be a film about a group of women trying to escape a mental institution. In the end, some of the women sacrifice their lives for their friends security, which made the film deeper and more enjoyable.
          Visually, Sucker Punch was one of the best movies I have scene, along with the Matrix, 300, and Inception.  The cinematography and directing was unbelievable and made the film worth watching again and again. The post processing and special effects add to the overall “grungy feel” of the film. 
          The soundtrack played a vital role in the movie. Much of the movie’s emotions and dialogue was created behind the unspoken words.  The remixed version of Where Is My Mind was incredible and was successfully incorporated into Sucker Punch.  Part of the reason I loved this was because Where Is My Mind is also used in Fight Club (one of my favorites).
          To me, Baby Doll seemed highly sexualized due to her big lips and other ample features.  I felt like this was distracting from the character and was only added for visual appeal. Also, the rest of the girls were incredibly good looking as well.  Even though they were used for a sexual visual appeal, I thought that they looked too beautiful to be in a mental institution. Realistically, the wouldn’t be wearing ridiculous amounts of makeup and would be somewhat dirty. 
          Morally, this movie is pretty messed up. Girls stuck in a mental institution are forced to dance and become prostitutes.  This added strong motives for the women to escape from the institution.
          Even though I found the beauty of the women unrealistic, I did enjoy it.  Watching scantily clad women with silenced machine guns destroy undead German soldiers is appealing for any guy. Along with machine guns, these women use tomahawks, swords,  pistols, and gatling guns to kill dragons, orcs, samurai, and robots. What guy wouldn’t like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment