Friday, November 25, 2011

House M.D. Season 8 Episode 7 "Dead and Buried"

          The beginning surprisingly doesn’t open with a patient in the process of getting sick outside of the hospital. Subtile changes like these make the show interesting without changing any major dynamics of the show.
          I know I give a great deal of praise to this show. I am sorry, but I am going to give a bit more.  Within almost every episode that I have seen, which is all of them, there has been a great deal of medical speech. I understand very few operations and diseases that they talk about, but love when they explain things.  For the first time, I noticed that there is tons of banter between House and his team. Normally, House talks about personal issues residing within his employees while they avoid the personal topics by suggesting theories. To me, only half of the dialogue was interpretable which added to the power of the understandable. Without thinking, I ignore what I do not understand and wait for House’s side of the conversation to begin. While both conversations are complete, only half is understandable which makes that part more important.
          Much like Sherlock Holmes, House isn’t interested in helping other people, he is interested in entertaining himself. To society’s benefit, this so happens to be in the form of a doctor who takes on cases nobody else can solve.  Also, he happens to fake and play off of human emotions to get what he wants, which makes him a more personable character and slightly likable by his peers.
          Another thing that grabbed my interest is House’s passion to figure out the case of a dead child.  He has never done this before and is broadening his curiosities. Because of his obsession and addiction with puzzles, House figured out how a child died while potentially saving the lives of two of the family members.
          Two flaws that I noticed within this episode correlated with the dead child case. First, the child was in excellent condition after being buried for 5 years. The skin was still intact and was not dried up and leathery. Second, when House opened the coffin, the smell from the decayed body would have been terrible. House failed to cover his nose or even show a change in smell.
          However, I am confused how is House getting away from being off the hospital grounds all the time. The show said the signal was jammed for only 45 minutes in the beginning.  Luckily, he got caught and punished in the end to show that he was breaking the rules and this wasn’t entirely a plot flaw.
          Finally, I loved the use of split personalities in this episode. While it is commonly talked about in psychology classes, it hasn’t yet occurred on the show. Multiple personalities isn’t a “medical diagnosis,” but it did serve as a cause to other diagnosis’.  To my discontent, this case ended abruptly because the focus was on the dead child case. While I wish the focus could have been on both cases, I feel that the writers did an adequate job bringing emotion into the other case.

No comments:

Post a Comment